I’m glad to announce the Trixionary is online and available to all unicyclists. The Trixionary is an online catalog to structure skills. Along with a trick many properties are saved, that describe each trick and also it’s relationship to other tricks. These relationships are very interessting and the graph is definitely a highlight of the Trixionary. Multimedia is supported through pictures and videos. Youtube and Vimeo are integrated out of the box and videos can also be uploaded manually. These videos can either demonstrate a trick or contain a tutorial to help visitors with learning instructions.
Here are some examples that showcase the Trixionary very well:
- Spin – This is the most complete example of almost all properties that are archiveable per trick at the moment.
- Hickflip – Ever wondered of which parts all these Urban tricks are composed of? The Trixionary takes care of this.
- Unispin – A trick with multiples? No problem.
- Crankflip – Video and tutorial from Youtube.
Please remember, this is an early version of the Trixionary, with also limited features. That means, at the moment there is only limited access for people who are able to edit the contents in the Trixionary. Though we are working on this and unicyclists who participated in the last two unicons will become access to the Trixionary later the year.
For some features I was unsure how to correctly implement them. E.g. transitions are not shown in the graph at the moment. Transitions are tricks where the start and end position are different, here are some examples: Riding to 1ft riding, 90° Unispin, Backspin, 1ft Wheel Walk to Standwalk, … Though some of them are considered to more a transition than others in regards to different understandings. As such some transitions can be shown immediately when the graph loads others when you select a trick in the graph and then there may still be some more types of transitions. How to determine which of these transitions can be shown and how can this work? These are for sure sport scientific questions yet most of the functionality in the Trixionary is available because prior questions like these have been answered.
Feedback is heartly welcomed. Please head over to the contact formular and send your inquiry.
Benefits of the Trixionary
At the IUF we have more plans on what we want to use the Trixionary for.
- A place to collect and structure tricks, where interessted people can easily get the information they are looking for.
- Help people learn unicycling by building a huge resource.
- Education! This is a highly requested and wanted topic within the IUF. The Trixionary will become an important role here. Expect more plans on this later the year.
- Science. The Trixionary is also a science tool. With all the properties saved, this allows certain operations to be handled with the Trixionary. Ever wondered about the difficulty of a trick? This question is unanswered, though with the Trixionary we have a chance to come closer to an answer.
History of the Trixionary
I would like to talk a little bit about the history of the Trixionary because it’s a long journey to where it is now. The first Trixionary was published in 2006 in german on einradfahren.de with a bigger update in 2010 after I become a unicycle freestyle coach and discovered some properties that tricks shared and connected them. The technical backend on einradfahren.de is outdated and had no future for further development. The IUF Trixionary is completely written from scratch on a new plattform called keeko. Also more research happened since 2010 which resulted in a write-up about structures in unicycling skills (german) in 2012. The IUF Trixionary is able to save all these new properties. More about the Trixionary can be read on my personal website (german) and an older blog post I wrote about the Trixionary (side-fact: the blog post from august 2012 mentions the re-release of the Trixionary at the IUF).
I am proud and happy to release the Trixionary, the power it offers, the ways we plan to use it at the IUF and of course a place for unicyclists to get information about tricks.
gossi» Read on